The Benefits of Mediation
Florida Supreme Court Certified Civil, Family & Dependency Law Mediator, Kathy Macchione Leggett. An Experienced Divorce Mediator You Can Trust.
Dealing with family disputes, conflicts in the workplace, or where conflict exists is difficult. But mediation can be effective in helping to resolve a tense and often emotional situation.
Settling disputes through mediation can be faster and cheaper and can leave both parties feeling in a better state of mind over the agreed decision.
There are several other significant benefits of mediation which include:
- Greater control – Mediation does not guarantee an outcome. Instead, the Mediator works with the parties to find a solution without guaranteeing the issue will be resolved. This can mean that both parties have more control over the solution and are not forced to accept an outcome with which they are not happy.
- Confidentiality & Privacy – When your dispute goes to court, it is potentially a public process. When disputes are settled out of court through mediation, they are entirely confidential unless specifically agreed otherwise.
- Reduced costs – Settling disputes through court proceedings is generally very expensive, and the overall costs can be highly unpredictable. Resolving disputes through mediation, however, is much faster and much cheaper than going to trial.
- Enhanced support – Mediation involves using a trained, neutral mediator to engage with the conflicting parties and help them work towards finding a solution acceptable to both sides. The Mediator listens to all views, talks to the parties privately and sometimes together, and guides each party through the process.
- Preservation of relationships – Settling family or workplace disputes is a difficult situation to handle. But going through a stressful litigation battle puts added pressure on the relationship between both parties. Mediation, on the other hand, helps both parties focus on communicating effectively and coming to a negotiated settlement that works for all involved.